It’s been two days since the run and this has been one of the easiest and pain-free recoveries yet. I feel great–the one blister I had on my heal is already calloused and my legs and knees are feeling good enough to play golf tomorrow at Hastings Country Club.
I still haven’t changed my mind about running more marathons anytime soon, but I would consider the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon or the TC10 next year.
City Pages listed me as the Minnesota Blog of the Day today, which was a nice surprise. I was listed there earlier this year and it’s nice they checked back to see how I did in the big race. I also had a nice comment from a complete stranger today. Web publishing is truly powerful…
Here are some additional notes from Sunday:
- Minnesota Supreme Court Judge Alan Page was playing his tuba again just north of Lake of the Isles. This is one of my favorite sights each year on the entire course (second only to the finish line). Thanks Judge!
- I missed just about everyone else on the course I usually see: Gregg Wong, my mother-in-law, my neighbors and my co-worker. I did see my parents and immediate family, though, and I thank all of the spectators who cheer and wave and yell out their support. It really makes a huge difference.
- The water stop just south of St. Thomas actually ran out of cups this year. This is the first time I’ve ever seen any operational slip-up in this otherwise perfect event.
- The death of the runner from Minneapolis was truly tragic and my thoughts go out to his family.
- In the last mile, I talked with a man who has run all 25 Twin City Marathons (and 20 Grandma’s too). He said he ran 7 minute miles twenty-five years ago (2:59), but he was 60 pounds heavier now and age was catching up with him. He said as long as he finished in under six hours, he’d keep coming back. Bravo!
I’d also like to congratulate my friend Susanne Miller of Burnsville, who finished her first marathon about 15 minutes ahead of me with a chip time of 04:56:05…DKOriginally published by DK on October 3, 2006 at 11:53 pm