Champions Tour player John Harris of Edina Country Club won the 2008 Minnesota Golf Champions tournament yesterday at Bearpath Golf and Country Club in Eden Prairie. Harris, who turns 56 next month, shot 67-71-70-208 (-8) to win by two strokes over second round leader Kane Hanson of Detroit Country Club. Harris won $3,000 to add to the $2,663,483 he has won on the Champions Tour in 149 career events (144 cuts made).
The weather finally turned Sunday, after a cold, wet Saturday that had the last players finishing in the dark at 8:40pm. The late morning tee times Sunday were greeted with sunshine, a stiff breeze and temperatures in the low 40s.
In other news from the tournament, professional Don Berry of Edinburgh USA is now a TaylorMade player, after many years with Titleist. Berry tied for ninth with Ty Armstrong of Glen Lake, shooting 72-71-73-216 (E) and earning $600.
Top Five Finishers:
- 1, John Harris, Edina CC, 67-71-70-208 (-8), $3,000.00
- 2, Kane Hanson, Detroit CC, 67-70-73-210 (-6), $2,000.00
- T3, Craig Brischke, Tanners Brook GC, 71-69-71-211 (-5), $1,375.00
- T3, Chris Borgen, Hiawatha GC, 68-71-72-211 (-5), $1,375.00
- 5, Adam Wynia, Prairie Green GC, 67-76-69-212 (-4), $1,100.00