Eight Minnesota Section PGA members are competing this week in the 41st PGA Professional National Championship at Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Georgia. The 7,043 yard, Jack Nicklaus-designed Great Waters course and the 6,926 yard, Bob Cupp-designed Reynolds Landing course are being used for the tournament.
312 club professionals are competing for the $75,000 first-place prize ($554,000 total purse) and a chance to play in the 90th PGA Championship, which will be held at at Oakland Hills Country Club in Bloomfield Township, MI on Aug. 4-10th, 2008. The top twenty finishers will qualify.
We will update the progress of the Minnesota contingent as the tournament progresses.
- T92, David Tentis, Troy Burne GC, 71-76-147 (+3)
- T92, Craig Brischke, Tanners Brook GC, 74-73-147 (+3)
- T117, John Kendall, Giants Ridge Resort, 72-76-148 (+4)
- T168, Bill Israelson, Vintage GC, 78-72-150 (+6)
- T245, Don Berry, Edinburgh USA, 78-76-154 (+10)
- T273, Dale Jones, Mendakota CC, 79-78-157 (+13)
- T280, Chris Bailey, Hillcrest CC, 79-79-158 (+14)
- T296, Chris Sauer, Cedar Creek GC, 75-86-161 (+17)
Also watch for TV coverage on the Golf Channel – Don Berry and Chris Bailey got some national air time on Thursday night’s broadcast.
UPDATE: The Minnesotans didn’t fair well, with all eight missing the cut (Tentis and Brischke were only one shot off the mark).Originally published by DK on June 19, 2008 at 10:00 pm