Some notes from today’s very warm and humid final practice round day at the 2008 U.S. Women’s Open at Interlachen in Edina:
Originally published by DK on June 25, 2008 at 5:05 pm
- Parking today at Southdale started in the west lot (they are using the whole area).
- Natalie Gulbis and Michelle Wie were listed on the board as playing together, but Gulbis was out alone from the first tee at 7am.
- I heard a police officer with the Gulbis group say several players have issues with stalkers. Sad.
- Michelle Wie’s controversial father B.J. was with her during the early part of her practice round; David Leadbetter was at her side on the 18th hole instructing her on chipping technique at the end.
- Annika’s farewell tour had a lot of support, as applause could be heard from the large crowds that followed her around the course.
- Ran into Otto the groundskeeper again today (saw him in the merchandise tent yesterday). He said they have been working from 4:30AM until 9PM every day for the past two weeks getting the course ready.
- Lorena Ochoa is really, really small. Her official profile page lists 5’6″ and I’m guessing that she must weigh like 100 pounds. That’s a lot of power per pound.
- The view from the top of the 18th hole grandstand is great: the exciting part of 18, the tenth tee, the 16th tee and the 15th green are all within sight.