The New York Road Runners continue to hold sway over my future running plans. Yes, they refunded my $255 entry fee this week from the 2012 (non)marathon. The trouble is, they also posted a note that said they haven’t decided yet if there will be an open lottery for 2013, nor what they will do for people who didn’t get in for three years in a row (2012 would have been my third year). So I really don’t want to sign up for any long races until I know for sure whether NYC is an option this November or not. This is a bit of a problem, as there are several alternative options for this year that may or may not fill up before I find out about New York:
- Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon, June 2 – my next 50 states option (plus I’d get to check out the Deadwood casino scene)
- Grandma’s, June 22 – really missed running it last year
- Med City Marathon, May 26 – continue to hear good things about this southern Minnesota race (and the price is right)
- Twin Cities, October 6 – I’d love to have Ms. Medtronic 1) get the TCM monkey off her back and 2) break that 4 hour mark
- Goofy Challenge, January 12, 2014 – not really 2013, but the cost would probably mean not running any other marathons in 2013
- Get Lucky Half Marathon, March 16 – not my favorite route, but nice swag
- Goldy’s Run 10 Miler, April 13 – looks like a nice course with a fun finish
- Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon, May 5 – it’s been on my list for years
I also plan to cheer on Megan and her dad at the Zumbro 50 Miler on April 13, which I think is completely crazy. Of course I say that after looking at bikes today that could be used in the Arrowhead 135 next year, so I guess it’s all relative, right?
Mileage so far this year has been a little on the light side, but I’m mostly OK with the current state of things. I’m planning to focus on treadmill speed work until I can get outside more, which should help prevent another knee issue at the 1 Mile. The 17 miler this weekend was a total surprise, as I was only planning to run 9 or 12 when I left the house. I love the calorie benefits from longer runs, though, so warmer weather can’t come fast enough.
Same goes for news from New York…Originally published by DK on February 19, 2013 at 12:34 am