7 Minute Miles

The Move

Posted Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 10:02 am GMT -5 in Housekeeping, Longform, Personal

The adventure continues this week, as we reverse the process started a week ago when we moved out of the house we’ve lived in for more than twelve years. I haven’t written much about it until now, as it’s been stressful, humbling and a whole host of other emotions. There are many, many others in the same situation, but that doesn’t make it any easier for me to process.

I would like to thank a few people, starting with attorney Jerry Probst. I can’t say enough good things about the work he and his team did to assist us through the short sale process. Special thanks to Michelle, Stephanie, Jacqueline, Genna and closer Kelly – I was delighted by your professionalism, attention to detail, tenacity and kindness throughout the long, long process (it took nearly eight months).

Our realtors Shirley and Phil Larson also stuck with us throughout the arduous journey. This type of transaction requires a special type of marketing and specific knowledge on how lenders and appraisers operate and there is a huge advantage if you have agents with those skills. If you need to sell your house, you should email or call them at 952-997-9466.

The saga started back in July when the house was first listed. We had an offer a day after the first open house, but the bank countered back. We had to re-list the house at a higher price and start showings again after the first buyer dropped out.

After a few weeks, we actually had two new offers and submitted the higher of the two bids. Thanks to the miracle workers at Probst Law, an agreement was reached with all of the parties, but the new buyer didn’t think they could meet the time deadlines. Eventually a closing date was set – one week out. We weren’t sure we could get everything out of the house that fast, but it all worked out and we closed on February 8.

The move out was quite a circus. I rented a huge 17-foot dumpster that was full within a day. We took multiple trips to Goodwill, sold a few things, gave some furniture to relatives and took many car trips to my parents and other family members for temporary storage. Then the largest POD they have arrived and we jammed that full from floor to ceiling. Oh, and filled another dumpster too. We left with the last car load full of stuff five minutes before the final buyer walk-through on Thursday night.

The lease on our new place was originally scheduled to start March 1, but we were able to move that up a week. That still left two weeks of floating, which has actually now involved five hotels (if you count Fortune Bay). That all ends on Friday morning, when I can sign the final papers and get the new keys. The POD should be delivered sometime that day and there will be a long weekend of hauling stuff around again.

I’m really hoping the new place works out. It’s a two-story, three-bedroom rental town home in Eagan with underground parking, a workout room and outdoor pool. There are bus stops for each kid right outside that go to their same exact schools, which is way cool (and surprising). They will still have their own rooms and painting and nails are on the approved list. Hopefully noise is not an issue (both from the neighbors and the kids).

It feels weird not owning a house any more, but I won’t miss mowing, shoveling, yard work and a whole slew of other things. My credit rating took a hit for the first time in my life and taxes might be interesting next year, but I plan to hire an expert for that (also for the first time in my life).

Suburban homeowner life was…different. After growing up in the city, I never thought I would end up living like that for as long as I did. If it weren’t for the schools, I would’ve found an apartment in Minneapolis or St. Paul for sure (or a lake cabin). The new setup is the best education option for the girls, though, so we’ll make it work.

I have a lot of great memories from that house and neighborhood – it’s the only house kid two has ever known. There were also a lot of rough times, but it’s best to move on and not dwell on the negativity. As Nina says, “It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me and I’m feeling good.”

Originally published by DK on February 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

DK on Twitter Email DK 7 Minute Miles RSS Feed

Looking for something?