Multiple interesting Sunday storylines out in Blaine this yearOriginally published by DK on July 24, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Best hockey day of the yearOriginally published by DK on June 26, 2022 at 10:43 pm
Just up the hill from our plot @ AcaciaOriginally published by DK on May 30, 2022 at 10:21 pm
Security at the Toronto Zoo is surprisingly lax…Originally published by DK on May 13, 2022 at 3:55 pm
CK got a present from the boyOriginally published by DK on April 30, 2022 at 3:04 pm
Opinion not shared by the entire household, thoughOriginally published by DK on April 24, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day 2022Originally published by DK on March 17, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Contact, it’s the secret. It’s the moment, when everything happens. Contact, it’s the answer. It’s the reason, why everything happens. Contact, let’s make contact!Originally published by DK on November 30, 2021 at 9:38 am
Dr. Shrinker, Dr. Shrinker, he’s a madman with an evil mind. Dr. Shrinker, Dr. Shrinker, he’s as crazy as you’ll ever find…Originally published by DK on November 1, 2021 at 6:38 pm
There’s the man and there’s the monkey. And somehow, you gotta be man enough to face down the monkey…Originally published by DK on September 3, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Originally published by DK on August 30, 2021 at 10:45 am
Saint Paul needs this badOriginally published by DK on July 7, 2021 at 10:21 pm
Yobo, the Jesus know what we thinking. He’s like a X-Man…Originally published by DK on June 26, 2021 at 8:44 pm
You know what we call problems in sales? We call them opportunities…Originally published by DK on June 18, 2021 at 10:52 am
Love, exciting and new. Come Aboard. We’re expecting you…Originally published by DK on May 29, 2021 at 5:41 pm
https://old.reddit.com/r/Muppets/comments/lnwse2/muppet_show_episodes_with_content_advisories/Originally published by DK on April 30, 2021 at 11:38 pm
It’s time to play the music, it’s time to light the lights. It’s time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight…Originally published by DK on April 4, 2021 at 7:49 pm
Here’s some money. Go see a Star War.Originally published by DK on March 25, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Wow. He did not give a fuck. What’s his name again?Originally published by DK on March 21, 2021 at 4:55 pm
You’re a bit of a failure, aren’t you? You come all the way over here in this country to kill Tommy Shelby, but…I mean, well, he’s not dead, is he?Originally published by DK on March 7, 2021 at 8:43 pm
In the not-so-distant past, I was very much an advocate for cord-cutting. Everyone likes to bag on the cable companies, but to be honest, the only real issues I’ve had with them my entire life are cost and channel selection. The former always goes up and the latter never seemed to include exactly what I wanted. Cord-cutting seemed to be the solution – just let me pay for the channels I want. Unfortunately, the TV provider also being the internet bandwidth provider makes it difficult to get one without the other. The last time we moved, Comcast basically offered me internet plus a bunch of channels for the same price as just internet (which also turns out to be a very good deal if you like live sports).
Today, I seem to have a bit of everything (and the amount I pay to Comcast continues to rise). I have an old AppleTV connected to our Sony set, which streams multiple services that I get billed for in addition to Comcast: Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Disney+ and CBS All Access (which we just added so Colleen could watch The Stand). At some point, I need to catalog all of these accounts, see how much I’m paying in total and decide if we really get that much value out of them. In normal times? Probably not. During a stay-at-home pandemic? Likely a bargain.
- Dark, Netflix (seasons 1-3): Armon told me to watch this German science fiction series about murder and time travel. It’s got subtitles, so you really have to pay attention. That’s good advice even if it was in English, as there is a large cast and it gets confusing very quickly. I did like it overall, but to be honest, it was a battle to finish all three seasons.
- Letterkenny, Hulu (season 9): I love this Canadian comedy and was super excited for a new season, but flew through all seven episodes in one sitting and now it’s gone again. Pitter Patter.
- Disenchantment, Netflix (part 3): Matt Groening’s medieval cartoon series is more Futurama than Simpsons, but the trio of Bean, Elfo and Luci make me laugh. Similar to Letterkenny, season/part 3 was over way too fast.
- Lupin, Netflix (season 1, part 1): Another foreign language Netflix original (France), this mystery thriller with subtitles demands attention. With only five episodes online now (out of ten shot for season one), it’s a quick watch. Cliff hanger warning: hopefully the second half of the season gets released soon so we can find out what happens to Omar Sy’s excellent character Assane Diop.
- Kim’s Convenience, Netflix (seasons 1-4): this Canadian comedy series set in Toronto has some of the best husband-wife and parent-child jokes of any show we’ve watched. Almost done with season four (and very happy to read there will be at least two more seasons coming).
- Night Stalker, Netflix: The New York Post (of all places) said this four-part true crime documentary about serial killer Richard Ramirez was “too graphic,” but we found it very interesting. I believe most of this happened while Colleen and I were in high school, but I only had a vague recollection of the case.
- Snowpiercer (movie): This 2013 science fiction thriller was on my watch list for a long time, as part of our recent Bong Joon-ho kick (Parasite, Okja, The Host). Can’t remember which service it popped up on, but we recently learned this is now also a series on TNT (with two seasons).
- Peaky Blinders, Netflix (season 1): With five seasons of this BBC show available, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to commit the time to a period piece set in post-WWI Birmingham, but now it’s almost like a British Sopranos for me, to be honest. Will continue onward.
- The Aristocats: I like that Disney+ has almost all of the old Disney animated movies to watch whenever you want (no more “available for a limited time on VHS” crap). When I read that some of the old movies now have disclaimers at the beginning, I decided to re-watch this one first. More details can be found on their “Stories Matter” website.
- Behind the Scenes of The Mandalorian, Disney+: I know I just linked to something different on the Star Wars website, but the behind the scenes series on Disney+ is really good (after you’ve watched both seasons). This franchise is in such good hands: Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Carl Weathers, Robert Rodriguez and Jon Favreau (who was a guest on Letterman the one time I got to see it in person) all seem like such cool, dorky people.
Thinking back on how many hours I’ve spent watching these, it’s a good thing at least some were also spent on the treadmill…
UPDATE: Per Kid Two, *she* pays for Hulu and also said I forgot about Amazon Prime Video…Originally published by DK on February 2, 2021 at 12:47 am
Man, after-work drinks taste so much better than instead-of-work drinks…Originally published by DK on January 18, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Damn I love DuluthOriginally published by DK on January 10, 2021 at 8:13 am
HBO + CandylandOriginally published by DK on January 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Did you know that China’s having a shortage of ninjas?Originally published by DK on December 26, 2020 at 1:38 pm
https://www.startribune.com/from-play-ball-to-play-bally-s-sinclair-betting-on-legal-gambling-to-boost-viewership/573452881/Originally published by DK on December 22, 2020 at 11:03 am
I’m Mister White Christmas, I’m Mister Snow. I’m Mister Icicle, I’m Mister Ten Below…Originally published by DK on December 11, 2020 at 8:35 pm
With the whole fam tooOriginally published by DK on December 6, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Chris Rock, Timothy Olyphant, Jason Schwartzman (and so many other great actors)Originally published by DK on December 1, 2020 at 4:19 pm
Cue the outrageOriginally published by DK on November 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
From no coverage of the front nine to (perhaps) too much coverage?Originally published by DK on November 14, 2020 at 1:18 pm
…and The ChildOriginally published by DK on November 1, 2020 at 2:08 pm
It’s funny, but it’s also trueOriginally published by DK on October 28, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Ronnie, gentle reminder, the line has been changed to I want to KISS you like an animal…Originally published by DK on October 4, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Ferda, boysOriginally published by DK on September 28, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to just hang up…Originally published by DK on September 11, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Originally published by DK on September 6, 2020 at 11:45 am
Trust me, people aren’t thinking about you the way that you’re thinking about you…Originally published by DK on August 31, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Um, what the hell, Mickey?Originally published by DK on July 6, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Welcome to the real world, jackass!Originally published by DK on May 20, 2020 at 11:08 am
Every human relationship can be adjusted with the right amount of money…Originally published by DK on April 29, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Everybody counts or nobody counts…Originally published by DK on February 24, 2020 at 8:21 pm
Baby Groot, do me a favor. Keep my name out of your little tree mouth, before I snap you like a twig…Originally published by DK on December 16, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Mood.Originally published by DK on November 19, 2019 at 2:23 pm
The boat no longer goes to Loserville!Originally published by DK on November 9, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Sweargen, you cock-suckaOriginally published by DK on October 16, 2019 at 12:56 am
https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Regina-Spektor-Youve-Got-Time-OITNB-Theme-Song-Video-46425999Originally published by DK on August 9, 2019 at 6:37 pm
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/tw2ltp/chappelle-s-show-wu-tang-financial—uncensoredOriginally published by DK on August 3, 2019 at 2:45 am
So much is said in silence…Originally published by DK on July 21, 2019 at 10:44 pm
Now we just need a win over OaklandOriginally published by DK on July 21, 2019 at 1:01 pm
It’s scotch whisky… Glenlivet, single malt. When you die, you’ll go to heaven, say hello to God; and when God says hello to you, this is what you’ll smell on his breath…Originally published by DK on July 10, 2019 at 10:29 am
He’s just some angry old man who hates joy…Originally published by DK on July 9, 2019 at 9:50 am
That was some good TV sportsballOriginally published by DK on July 7, 2019 at 12:42 pm
What, you think I’m stupid? I’m not a part of your system. My dad’s not a phone, duh!Originally published by DK on June 30, 2019 at 6:54 pm
From the handshake line to the booing of Bettman and the handoff of the trophyOriginally published by DK on June 13, 2019 at 7:36 am
Spokane visit or Stranger Things audition?Originally published by DK on June 2, 2019 at 10:09 am
These are sweetOriginally published by DK on May 9, 2019 at 7:30 pm
The big woman still here?Originally published by DK on April 22, 2019 at 4:20 pm
People have said a lot of thing about the Masters over the years, but the ability to follow Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia for their entire first round in HD on my AppleTV with no commercials, announcers that don’t scream and silence the majority of the broadcast (aside from the birds chirping) is about as good as sports TV gets, in my opinion. Add in a work-from-home snow day blizzard outside (with wife and daughter safely inside) + hot pizza from across the street + new levels in Two Dots = my favorite day in weeks.Originally published by DK on April 11, 2019 at 1:05 pm
They were like little movies, which is what I was always trying to do: A little movie every week…Originally published by DK on January 8, 2019 at 11:48 am
I really don’t know how to describe it. It was like the turkeys mounted a counter-attack. It was almost as if they were…organized!Originally published by DK on November 23, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Word on the street was bad for Disenchantment, but I really liked it (plus music by Mark Mothersbaugh!)Originally published by DK on October 4, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Come on, Tim, wow usOriginally published by DK on September 12, 2018 at 11:38 am
Have you turned it off and back on again?Originally published by DK on September 3, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Thanks a lot, SimpsonsOriginally published by DK on August 20, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Back in my high school days, I had the option to take more than your average amount of history classes: Ancient Civilizations, Western Civilizations, American Experience. St. Paul Central’s Quest program was an early precursor to AP and IB type coursework and Mr. Demers, the history teacher, was one of my all-time favorites. I also was a fan of geography, so when you mixed in the opportunity to travel that my mom’s work allowed, history literally came alive for me.
This past week I’ve been watching the Ken Burns and Lynn Novick ten-part documentary on the Vietnam War. It amazes me how much I didn’t know about this historical event that played out during my lifetime – especially since my father participated in it directly (and it’s the reason I’m not a native Minnesotan). Now I’m looking forward to lunch with him and having an opportunity to ask questions about a topic we’ve never really discussed much (something I wish I’d done with my grandfather and World War II).
I found it interesting to see so many similarities between then and now politically. We like to think that our current environment is the most divisive ever, but this has really been America for a long time. As Thomas Polgar, the Saigon station chief for the C.I.A. wrote in his last cable from the embassy: “Those who fail to learn from history are forced to repeat it. Let us hope that we will not have another Vietnam experience and that we have learned our lesson.”
Note to self: research how so many Midwest politicians rose to play such prominent roles during this period of history (Humphrey and McCarthy in Minnesota, McGovern in South Dakota).Originally published by DK on July 11, 2018 at 12:09 am
Silence is one of the greatest gifts we have…Originally published by DK on July 5, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Garry was the Prince of comedy…Originally published by DK on May 26, 2018 at 3:45 pm
White people with beards, they ruined everything…Originally published by DK on March 18, 2018 at 12:30 am